23 February 2009

Word of the Week

Okay, it's time, I am coming out of the closet on this matter and openly admitting that I am a true historical romance novel junkie! I admit that this is not an issue that I have openly admitted to in the past because the snickers and hehe haha's are embarrassing and hard to hear. But what the heck, I can do it here, cuz I don't have to actually hear these sounds or see others laugh out loud.

So, with that out in the open, I am going to prattle a little bit about it and how the addiction began.

While I was growing up, through high school, college and for some years after that you couldn't get me to read a book (pleasure or otherwise) if my life depended on it. I don't remember reading books in grade school even though I suppose I had to have done it. But I remember clearly my high school days and all the shenanigans I would go through to get out of reading anything. Thank the reading gods for Cliffsnotes and a sister who was a bookworm!

But one day, in my mid 30's, while on vacation, I was lounging at pool side chatting with another lady who was also soaking up the rays. I noticed that she was reading a book, a book mind you that stood out to me, because, at the time it looked like the worlds thickest book. So, just to be nice and to have some idle chit chat going, I asked if it was good. Well, she went off into a 15 minute litany about the whole story. Amazingly, she hooked me into the story, it's characters and some of the adventures that took place and I listened intently for the full time. She asked me if I would be interested in reading it. She said had got the book from someone else and that she was almost done with it and wanted to know if I would like to have it. I said sure (what the heck, it was free) and made arrangements with her to pick it up the next day. That was the beginning of my addition.

For the next week, you couldn't get the book out of my hands. I loved it and actually read it from start to finish. I remember clearly what book it was because it was actually the first SciFi book that I had ever read. It was "Battlefield Earth" by L. Ron Hubbard.

After I got home from that vacation I was talking to a friend and mentioned that I had actually read a complete book for the enjoyment of it for the first time ever. After she stopped laughing at me, she mentioned that she had just finished a book that she enjoyed and wanted to know if I would want it. Again, it was free, so what the heck, it took it. I remember this book as well, because it was my first romance novel ever. It was by LaVyrle Spencer "Twice Loved". This is where the real addiction began because I read all that she had written then went off onto reading people that reviewed her writings, and on and on and on.

One of the really cool things that came from this addiction was that I ended up getting closer to my mom because she too shared this love for romance novels and we would share books. My mom loved good mystery books as well so she introduced me to Nora Roberts who seems to have a never ending amount of books to chose from. But, authors like Linda Lael Miller, with her time travel books will always be my favorite.

Another cool thing about these books is that I've learned almost a whole new language just by having to look up new words with each new book. Check out the "Word of the Week". This is one of those new words that I learned this week. Not like I would be able to use it in my every day speech, but I feel just a little smarter knowing it.

So there you have it, my prattle on my love for romance novels.

1 comment:

Dragons52 said...

Reading is good in any form! Too many people don't read at all and just think about what they are missing. So I say go for it as long as you ARE reading!!

eXTReMe Tracker