20 April 2009

THE DIFFERENCE

EATING RAW??


Now that I am embarking on this "new lifestyle" of trying to eat healthier, I noticed that some words relating to other eating lifestyles keep popping up in my mind. I've heard them and figured that I knew what they were about but now I know that I never really grasped the difference in them. So, I decided to look up some terms that have been thrown at me and try to really get what the differences are with each one and share this with you.

First we have “the vegetarian” - a person who does not eat or believe in eating meat, fish, fowl, or, in some cases, any food derived from animals, as eggs or cheese, but subsists on vegetables, fruits, nuts, grain, etc. One who hold that vegetables and fruits are the only proper food to eat. This is pretty much my understanding of what a vegetarian believed. I tried this way of life many years ago but found it hard because I love eggs and I love meat.

Next we have "the vegan" - a strict vegetarian who eats plant products only, especially one who uses no products derived from animals (no eggs, no cheese, etc.). I love to buy things that say they are all vegan because they are usually quite tasty, but again I found that this was hard to be completely honest with doing because I couldn't be a vegetarian, so to being a strict vegetarian...it just wouldn't ever happen.

Next we have the "gluten free follower" - which is the person that follows the belief of removing gluten from their daily diet. Gluten is the protein part of various grains such as, rye, wheat, barley, corn and such. It's used as an adhesive and as a flour substitute, giving it the gluey, stick texture. Many people have bad physical reactions to this protein (celiac disease), therefore, they follow the gluten free diet eliminating this protein from there foods.

This is one subject - gluten free - that I was confused on. I thought that it went along with the Vegan concept until I had a friend and her blog writings make it clearer to me. Please check out my blog list for more information and connections to this subject. With all the things I got going on with me I wouldn't swear that this isn't just another thing eating away at me, but I figure that since I'm doing the raw foods thing, for the most part this will fix itself.

So, lastly we have the "raw food diet" (the winner for me) - which has a person eating mainly, fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds. I guess as in the vegetarian lifestyle with the vegan as the purist, you could have the strict raw food lifestyle as well. But for me, I find that a little diary, fish and a little chicken now and then seems to help with a little extra protein and the handles the "can't have" aspect of dieting.

I've looked at these lifestyles listed here and as you can see, the raw food lifestyle is the thing happening now. Can't say it will last because I'm a creature of habit and lazy on top of it. And I find package food and fast food restaurants easier, BUT, right now I'm feeling overall better, and hopefully that will inspire me to change my habits and continue on with this program.


No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker